Leave of Absence for Medical Reasons


Students may be granted leaves for medical reasons at any time and resumption is contingent upon the condition being resolved or managed successfully. In such cases, the Dean of Students in the College may require information from a physician or therapist attesting to the readiness of the student to successfully resume studies. In making an informed decision to allow a student to resume the student’s studies, the Dean of Students will consider germane medical and other information available, including information provided in a timely manner by the student. The student may be asked to sign a medical records release, and to authorize direct communication between the Student Health Service (SHS) Director (or designee) or Student Counseling Service (SCS) Director (or designee) and the student’s medical provider(s) regarding the circumstances and the student’s medical information, and to authorize the Director to share the substance of those communications with the Dean of Students or others, as appropriate. If a student declines to authorize communications between and among the student’s provider, the Dean of Students, and SHS or SCS Director (or their designees) and/or declines to authorize the release of germane medical records, then the Dean of Students will make the decision after considering all of the available information and will do so without the benefit of information that may be directly germane to the decision. Additional conditions may be required of the student requesting to return depending on the student’s medical condition (e.g. requirements for continued treatment, professional monitoring of the student’s condition by a local treatment team, etc.). In such cases the student will be notified of the additional requirements prior to the student’s return. Students who need a reasonable accommodation for a disability in conjunction with their return to enrollment should promptly contact Student Disability Services (SDS) and follow the required protocols.

While a leave of absence for medical reasons may be granted at any time, tuition is only fully refunded if the leave of absence is arranged either at the end of the quarter prior to the leave or by the Friday of first week of the quarter in which the leave is to begin. For the refund schedule, visit the Bursar’s Office.

Students on leave of absence for medical reasons are eligible to utilize the Student Health Service (SHS) and Student Counseling Service (SCS), and will be automatically assessed the student life fee each quarter of the leave of absence. Students who will reside more than 50 miles from campus during the leave of absence for medical reasons may request an exemption of the Student Life Fee by contacting the Office of the Dean of Students.

Students on leave who do not participate in U-SHIP at the time the leave is processed do not have access to the Student Health Service (SHS) and Student Counseling Service (SCS).

For more information on health insurance and a leave of absence see the Student Manual.

Students on financial aid should review their awards with the Office of College Aid before deciding on a leave of absence. See Financial Aid and LOA.

If a leave of absence for medical reasons lasts more than eight quarters, the student’s status in the College will be changed to withdrawn. However, before a student is withdrawn, the Office of the Dean of Students in the College will seek input from the student to determine whether the student wishes to petition for additional quarters of leave to enable the student to resolve the medical issues in order to successfully resume studies. Petitions may be granted to extend a leave for up to 12 cumulative quarters for students as a reasonable accommodation for a disability, or otherwise as required by law. Students seeking an exception to the eight quarter maximum must petition the College Dean of Students no later than the end of the eighth quarter of leave. A student who has been withdrawn must petition the Committee for the Resumption of Studies to return to their academic program. 

Students planning any leave should consult with their College adviser and also arrange for an interview with one of the deans in the Office of the Dean of Students in the College. See Requesting a Leave of Absence or Withdrawal.

Note: Students cannot resume studies in the College if they have received a bachelor’s or an advanced degree elsewhere.