Taking Time Away

Support While Away

To help students continue to meet their personal, academic and career goals while they are away from the College, there are a variety of resources that students may continue to take advantage of both on campus and remotely. Learn more below about what is available to students while away and how to connect with the College and University to stay in the know about news and updates across the UChicago community:

    Students on LOA who do not participate in U-SHIP at the time the leave is processed do not have access to UChicago Student Wellness.

    Students on leave of absence for medical reasons are eligible to utilize UChicago Student Wellness, and will be automatically assessed the student life fee each quarter of the leave of absence. Students who will reside more than 50 miles from campus during the leave of absence for medical reasons may request an exemption of the Student Life Fee by contacting the Office of the Dean of Students.

    For more information on health insurance and a leave of absence see the Student Manual.

    Students on voluntary leave of absence do not attend classes; cannot hold work-study positions or maintain on-campus employment; cannot live in University housing; and cannot participate in Recognized Student Organizations (RSO) activities that are not otherwise open or available to the public.

    Students on a leave of absence will continue to have access to most Career Advancement services, including career advising, employer events, University-sponsored internship programs, and the UChicago Handshake database.

    Students on a leave of absence may establish access-only privileges to campus libraries and access athletic facilities by checking the appropriate boxes on the Leave of Absence form. There are no fees to access these facilities; however, library borrowing privileges may be granted with authorization from the ID & Privileges Office for an added fee.  

    Email remains accessible for two quarters. After one year, all mail files, personal webpages, and online directory data are deleted. For questions, contact the Office of College Community Standards.

    Students on financial aid should review their awards with the Office of Financial Aid before deciding on a leave of absence. Recipients of Federal Title IV loans are advised that they may use portions of the grace period if not enrolled for more than one quarter. A student who has exhausted the grace period and is unable to begin repayment may apply for a deferment or forbearance of payment from the Federal Student Aid Office of the Department of Education.  Students with loans from an outside provider should contact their loan servicer for more information before leaving campus. 

    Students who receive grants or scholarships through the University, including the Odyssey Scholarship, will not receive these credits during the period of their leave. When students resume their studies, these grants and scholarships will resume at the full amount per quarter. For questions about billing, please contact the Office of the Bursar

    Students considering enrollment in another institution while on leave of absence should discuss their academic plans with a College adviser. The Transfer Credit page on this site provides guidelines for transferring credit back to the University. 

    Students who receive financial aid from the College are eligible to request federal financial aid via a consortium agreement, when they register for classes at least half-time at another institution. Summer study and less-than-half-time study are not eligible for federal aid via a consortium agreement. See the Office of College Aid for more information. 

    Note: Students cannot resume studies in the College if they have received a bachelor’s or an advanced degree elsewhere.