The summer before your first quarter in the College will go by more quickly than you can imagine. As you prepare to begin your new academic career with us, there is important information for you to review and several important tasks to complete. To ensure that you don't miss anything, we have developed the Incoming Student To-Do List for you to follow throughout the summer. Some items may be able to be completed ahead of time. Others items will have specific windows of time during which you must complete the assigned task.
The Incoming Student To-Do List includes three types of tasks.
- Mandatory: These tasks must be completed by the deadline listed in order for you to be prepared for Orientation and the start of classes.
- Strongly Recommended: These items will complement the required tasks and will help to ease your transition into the College.
- Encouraged: These items will assist in ensuring that you have the best possible start to your time in the College.
If you run into problems or have questions along the way, College Programming and Orientation is here to help. You can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone and text at 773-702-8616.
- Create your CNet ID and set up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) by Wednesday, May 31. Don’t forget to also download your list of 10, one-time passcodes.
- Transfer students must submit course information and final transcripts by Monday, June 12.
- Complete pre-registration for your autumn quarter Humanities sequences course between June 20-23. Please review the Online Orientation Module #2 (found on your Canvas site) for detailed instructions on how to select and rank your preferred HUMA sequence.
- Submit your official ID photo. To upload your photo, please visit https://myphoto.uchicago.edu. The deadline to upload your photo is Friday, June 30.
- Complete the Housing Application by Friday, June 30. You will need your CNet and a successful ID photo submission in order to complete your housing application. If you have trouble accessing the housing application or questions along the way, please contact Housing & Residence Life at email@example.com, 773-702-7366, or via the Live Chat Feature (when available) within the myHousing portal.
- Log into your my.UChicago student portal and review all personal, emergency, and family contact information. Update any information that is missing or incorrect by Friday, June 30. For more information, visit the Registrar website. or
- Complete the Career Interests Survey by Wednesday, July 5 to share your career interests with Career Advancement to help match you to your career adviser.
- Submit AP/IB Examination scores to the College Board/IB no later than Friday, July 14. UChicago's institution code is 1832.
- Complete the Math and any other relevant Placement Tests by Friday, July 21. All incoming students must take a math placement exam. Student interested in taking courses in language, chemistry, or computer science may also elect to take placement exams in these areas. Placement tests will be available beginning the week of May 15.
- Review the information provided about Registering for Autumn Courses, and set up an appointment with your Assigned Academic Adviser before the deadline on Friday, August 11. Failure to do so will impact your ability to participate in Pre-Registration.
- Complete round two of class Pre-Registration taking place the week of August 14 – August 18. Pre-Registration will open at 9:00 AM CDT on Monday, August 15 and remain open through 5:00 PM CDT on Friday, August 19. If you will not have internet access during this window, contact your Adviser or College Advising.
- Complete part one of the mandatory online Prevention Modules that launch on September 1 and are due by September 18. Students who fail to complete all three will result in a hold placed on your account for winter quarter registration. Check your email for instructions on how to access and complete the modules.
- Complete all other required Online Orientation Modules that are released each month via the Online Orientation Canvas course by September 18.
- Review and pay your Autumn 2022 electronic bill which will become available the end of August and due by (date to be released).
- Download the UChicago Orientation App to access the full orientation schedule and your mandatory appointments (app links released in September).
- Complete the Registrar Annual Responsibility Confirmation form in your my.uchicago portal by September 26.
- Enroll-in or waive the University's Student Health Insurance (USHIP) through August 1 – October 13. After that deadline, students who do not take action are default enrolled in USHIP for the year and assessed the quarterly premium on their student account.
- Submit proof of all required immunizations through the Student Wellness Portal by October 20. For more information about what is required, visit the Required Immunizations Website.
- Complete the College Orientation Survey emailed to all incoming students by October 20.
- Complete part two of the mandatory online Prevention Modules that launch on October 17 and due by October 23. Failure to complete modules will result in a hold on your account for winter quarter registration.
- Apply for a UChicago Summer Opportunity or Pre-Orientation Program. Applications close Friday, June 9.
- Look out for your introduction email to the UChicago Mentoring Program (UCMP) the week of June 12 and follow the instructions to get involved!
- Learn about and apply for the Career Advancement Career Cohorts early engagement programs. Applications close on Wednesday, July 5.
- Carefully read the Orientation Newsletters sent out twice a month from May until October.
- Check out the Summer Webinar Series and register for upcoming webinars.
- Review all information provided by Student Disability Services and begin the accommodation request process as needed.
- Sign-up for the cAlert System, the University’s electronic emergency mass notification system.
- Download the UChicago Safe Mobile Safety App.
- Carefully read the Student Wellness Checklist and complete all steps necessary to prepare for your transition to living on campus and establishing wellness care with UChicago Student Wellness.
- Incoming international students, be sure to review the OIA International Student Check List for additional information.
- Register yourself and your family for Family Weekend, October 13—15, 2023.
- Connect with fellow members of the Class of 2027 Facebook Group.
- Bookmark the Orientation website for more information about virtual summer programming, O-Week, incoming student communications, and the monthly To-Do Lists.
- Stay plugged in on all things happening in the College: Follow @uchicagocollege on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
- For Jewish identifying students, please complete this Jewish Life survey if you wish to be contacted by campus Jewish Life partners.
- Sign-up for Blueprint and begin exploring RSOs (Recognized Student Organizations) that might be of interest to you.
- Begin buying or renting your textbooks from the UChicago Bookstore or the Seminary Co-op Bookstore once you have your class schedule.
- Join the UChicago Parent Support and Networking Facebook groups (UChicago Parents and/or the UChicago Parents 2027).
- Ensure your student updates their family contact information within their my.uchicago portal. For more information, visit the Registrar website.
- If your student received learning / living accommodations in high school, please have them visit Student Disabilities Services website to register for accommodations as soon as possible.
- Check out the UChicago Glossary to learn more about the University and commonly used phrases.
- Create a communication plan with your student this summer. Set expectations on what you’d like to be kept in the loop about and how often you expect to hear from them (daily, weekly, calls, or texts).
- Help your student prepare for move-in. Make sure your student talks with their roommate(s) before arriving to ensure they don’t bring the same items like TV, rugs, etc. (housing assignments will be released mid-August).