Joint Degree Programs

Some departments in the University offer joint BA/MA programs or a professional option for undergraduates. Joint degrees and professional option programs allow students to begin graduate-level study while still a student in the College. They can be useful to highly motivated students who decide early on that they want to concentrate their time (and their electives) on graduate-level study.

Please Note: If you are thinking about taking on one of these programs, confer first with your College adviser and then set up an appointment with College Joint Degree Program Adviser, Pete Segall.

Joint Bachelor’s/Master’s Programs

Joint BA-MA/MS programs let students begin taking graduate courses in their major while still an undergraduate in the College. A few departments currently offer this option, including Statistics and the Committee on International Relations. However, any department may decide to offer a joint program. If they do, it will be noted in the College Catalog.

Joint Master of Arts in Teaching Degree

UChicago UTEP is a two-year graduate program accredited by the Illinois State Board of Education that awards a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree through the University of Chicago Graham School of Continuing Liberal and Professional Studies. The program offers three certification pathways: Elementary, Secondary Biology, and Secondary Mathematics. Undergraduates at the University of Chicago may begin the program during their fourth year in the College and take the Foundations of Education sequence as quarterly electives. Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply to the program.

Joint MA Degree in Social Service Administration

The Joint MA Degree in Social Service Administration lets you begin training for an MA degree even if you’re not majoring in Social Service. You’d need to start the ground work for this program early in your third year, have a GPA of 3.25 of higher, and have all of your general education requirements completed in order to apply for this program.

Professional Option Programs

The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and the Irving B. Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies offer a professional option program, which means you could begin med school or work toward an advanced professional degree during your fourth year.

Both are highly competitive and have stringent requirements. And both require the you apply in your third year in the College, so if you’re interested you’ll need to start making inquiries early in your 2nd year. Check the College Catalog and talk to your College adviser for more information.