Forms and Petitions

College students may print the following documents using Adobe Acrobat Reader. Some of these are also available in hard copy at the College Advising Reception Desk.

Please note: do not use Apple’s “Preview” application to complete these forms or they may not display properly; use Acrobat software instead.


General Petition
Use this form to request exemption or special consideration from various College rules and requirements. See the second page of the form for instructions.

Petition to Transfer Credit
Use this form to request credit for a  course in which you plan to enroll outside of the University of Chicago. The rules for transferring credit can be found in the College Catalog. (Students with inactive logins should use the PDF version of the transfer petition form.)

Language Petition
This form is for students who have lived and gone to school in another culture and wish to document that for their language competency requirement, and for students who wish to get credit for language courses in the second year and beyond after taking a course they placed into.

Petition to Enroll in Professional School Courses
Students who wish to enroll in courses in a professional school other than the Booth School of Business should begin the process as early as they can.  This form should be completed only after consulting with your College Adviser. See the section on Graduate and Professional School Courses for details and the second page of the form for instructions.

Reduced Course Load Petition
This petition is for students who wish to be enrolled with a reduced course load status. Students should review the Reduced Course Load Policy and consult with their College Adviser. Students seeking a Reduced Course Load for ADA accommodations should submit a form for each quarter in which they request the accommodation. 

Additional Quarter of Enrollment Petition
This petition is for students who wish to enroll beyond the ordinary twelve quarters of enrollment. Students should consult the College Registration Policies in addition to their College Adviser. 

Petition to Enroll in a 5th Course
This petition is for students who wish to enroll beyond 400 units in a quarter. Students will also need to submit a signed consent form from their instructor.



Consent to Complete a Minor Program Form 
This form must be completed and approved by the department before a minor can be official declared. Due by the end of third year.

Leave of Absence Form
In advance of your leave of absence appointment, you may fill out this form to bring with you. Learn more about our policies on the Leave of Absence section of this site.

Petition to Use a Single Bachelor's Paper for Two Majors 
Must be completed by both departments. Due by the end of Autumn Quarter of fourth year.

Biological Sciences B.S. Degree Faculty Consent Form
Students who wish to graduate with a B.S. in the Biological Sciences must submit a B.S. thesis proposal by the fifth week of Spring Quarter in their third year.

FERPA Certification and Release Form

Language Placement Reporting Form
This form is to be used by language coordinators and placement contacts to report a placement determined by consultation or a change in placement.

Readmission Form
Students who have been withdrawn from the College or who have been “on leave” for more than 8 quarters are required to submit a completed Petition to Resume Studies along with supporting materials eight weeks prior to the start of the quarter of intended return. The petition will be reviewed by the Faculty Committee on the Resumption of Studies. The results of the petition will be communicated at least four weeks in advance of the intended quarter of return. The College is not obliged to approve student resumption petitions. Upon return, students are expected to complete the requirements for the degree without further interruption.

Please note: do not use Apple’s “Preview” application to complete this form or it may not display properly; use Acrobat software instead.

Reading & Research Forms and Incomplete Forms are available from the College Advisers.


Degree Program Worksheet
Four-Year Plan Worksheet
Weekly Time Schedule Chart