The University of Chicago's Biological Sciences Collegiate Division (BSCD) has developed innovative and exciting curricular initiatives in undergraduate science education and expanded undergraduate research opportunities. Approximately 80 percent to 90 percent of all biology majors engage in some form of research activity. These successful programs provide a firm foundation for the undergraduate research experience.
Explore opportunities listed below. You can also explore additional internal and external research opportunities by searching the various databases at the College Center for Research and Fellowships (CCRF).
One of the most daunting tasks for an undergraduate student interested in pursuing research is identifying a mentor and lab in which to perform research. Before you begin your search for a lab, you should click on the link "Is Research for Me?" on the left to learn a bit more about the process and the right and wrong ways to approach a potential research mentor. The Phoenix Biology Club sent out a brief survey to BSD faculty and created a partial list of faculty who are interested in talking to undergraduates about joining their labs. You can find the google document at this link.
Keep in mind that this is only a partial list of labs and mentors, so you should definitely perform your own search to explore research opportunities that best match your own interests.
- BSCD Summer Fellowship Program (Deadline: April 10, 2019)
- BSCD Ecology and Evolution Fellowship (Deadline: April 10, 2019)
- BSCD Developmental Neurobiology Fellowship (Deadline: April 10, 2019)
- BSCD Public Health Fellowship (Deadline: April 10, 2019)
- BSCD International Summer REU Program Fellowship (Deadline: February 28, 2019)
- BSCD Quantitative Biology Fellowship (Deadline: April 10, 2019)
- BSCD Translational Medicine Fellowship (Deadline: April 10, 2019)
- BSCD Summer Fellowship in Bioimaging for Oncology and Related Disciplines (SURFBOARD) (Deadline: April 10, 2019)
- 2019 Neuroscience Research Internship (Deadline: April 10, 2019)
- Midstates Symposium (Check back in Sept 2019 for details)
- Spring 2019 BSCD Undergraduate Research Symposium (deadline passed)