The Dean’s Fund provides students in the College with one-time funding for Student Life or Public Service projects. This fund supports undergraduates in their efforts to contribute to our College and University culture.
Funded by donations from generations of alumni, the Fund exists to support student life, leadership, and service efforts.
Applicants seeking renewable funding should seek the advice of the Center for Leadership and Involvement or their academic department to identify alternative funding sources.
Grant amounts range from $750–$1,500.
Dean’s Fund for Student Life Eligibility and Application Guidelines
- Current full-time student in good standing in the College with plans to enroll in the following quarter
- Project supported by a UChicago staff or faculty advisor
- If the project is being submitted on behalf of a Recognized Student Organization (RSO), advisor in the Center for Leadership and Involvement must be made aware of plan to submit a Dean’s Fund for Student Life application
- Student may not have previously received a Dean’s Fund award
NOTE: Students may only receive Dean’s Fund support once during College career
- Student may not receive funding from another University entity for the same project need
- Student must agree to report and confirm fund use
- Student may receive up to $1500 in funding (generally ranges from $750–1500) for upcoming project
NOTE: The Dean’s Fund will not retroactively fund projects
- Application completion and submission by midnight in accordance with the monthly deadline
NOTE: Last application deadline is April 30
- Staff or Faculty Advisor Evaluation: You will need to provide the name and email address for at one staff or faculty advisor. Please confirm with your advisor that they are willing to complete an emailed evaluation form on your behalf prior to submitting your application. If you are submitting an application on an RSO’s behalf, please be sure to list the name and contact information for your advisor in the Center for Leadership and Involvement.
- Project Title
- Proposal Summary (3-5 sentences)
- Project Proposal (500 words maximum) that articulates:
- Itemized Budget (1 page; 350 words maximum for narrative) that specifically details how you intend to spend the funding.
- Applications for Student Life projects are accepted and reviewed on a monthly basis
- Applications must be submitted by midnight on the last day of the month:
- Applications are reviewed by committee within three weeks following the deadline; applicants receive award notifications via email once the committee renders decisions
- Quality of application and written materials
- Evaluation from staff or faculty advisor on preparation and potential for success executing project, as well as:
The Dean’s Fund for Student Life supports current students in the College interested in student life endeavors or projects that contribute to the life of the College and University. You may only apply to one grant type and may only receive one Dean's Fund grant (of any type) over the course of your undergraduate career.
Eligible projects may be individual or solo student endeavors or group/student organization—either recognized by the Center for Leadership and Involvement or not—undertakings.
Please carefully review all eligibility and application instructions below before beginning your application process. Any application that does not fully comply with the below requirements or that are submitted after the stated monthly deadlines, will not be considered. Your reference will also be asked to submit their form within two weeks of your application submission. Please alert them to the deadline when you request their support.
purpose of project;
staff or faculty advisor(s);
location and structure of proposed project; and
intended learning outcomes and/or final product
project viability; and
preparation for project success and completion
feasibility of project (ability to complete in the time identified)
Please contact Sophia Chaknis, Deputy Dean of Students in the College and Chief of Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.