Requesting a Leave of Absence or Withdrawal
If you are a student who needs to interrupt or discontinue enrollment in the College, you should request a leave of absence or withdrawal by taking the following steps:
- Discuss the implications of interrupting your enrollment with your College adviser. International students should also consult with the Office of International Affairs;
- Schedule a leave of absence/withdrawal appointment with a dean in the Office of the Dean of Students, Harper Memorial Library Room 281, or by phoning 773-702-8627;
- Bring a completed Request for Leave of Absence or Withdrawal form to your appointment with the dean;
- Notify the Housing and Residential Life Office (if applicable) and prepare to remove all belongings from the residence hall (including storage areas);
- Speak with a counselor in the Office of College Aid about the implications of a leave on current obligations and future financial aid.
- Students on LOA who do not participate in U-SHIP at the time the leave is processed do not have access to the Student Health Service (SHS) and Student Counseling Service (SCS). For more information, see the Student Manual.
It is the College’s expectation that a student will not exceed eight cumulative quarters of leave over the course of their undergraduate career, unless otherwise provided for by this policy (see Voluntary Leave of Absence). A student who has exceeded eight quarters of approved leave will be withdrawn and must apply to the Faculty Committee on the Resumption of Studies. The College is not obliged to approve student to resume.
Note: Students cannot resume studies in the College if they have received a bachelor’s or an advanced degree elsewhere.