The CCSS Lending Library is currently unavailable due to the Stay-at-Home order in Illinois. Below are some digital resources to support students' book needs during Spring Quarter 2020, thanks to Librarian Rebecca Starkey, a member of the FLI Network and long-term supporter of CCSS.
Online Book Access
Library staff have been busy working with faculty to identify electronic versions of textbooks and other course materials for integration into Canvas. In addition to these course materials, several publishers have temporarily opened access to books or journals for use by students and faculty during this difficult time. For textbooks, students may want to look at Cambridge Textbooks, EBSCO Faculty Select, and ScienceDirect Textbooks.
Additional ebooks may be available via HathiTrust, a collaborative collection of digitized books. Access is now available to University of Chicago users via the Emergency Temporary Access Program until the Library reopens. To use these materials:
- Go to hathitrust.org. Click the “Log in” button on right side of the web page.
- Select “University of Chicago” from the drop-down menu. Click “Continue”.
- You will see our standard authentication page where you can login using your UChicago credentials (CNetID and password).
- Perform a search for a book. Limit to “Full View” under the Custom Filters on the left. Titles now available under this program will show the link: “Temporary Access”
- Once you open a book, it is “checked out” to you for one hour and others will not be able to view it (unless we have more than one print copy). Our access is based on our actual print collections.
Librarians are ready online to help students. Our subject librarians are also available online via email or Zoom web conference. They can provide guidance on research assignments or help with projects like thesis proposals or fellowship applications. Help guides are also available 24-7 to direct students to the best information resources and scholarly sources. There are also expanded Ask a Librarian chat service hours for Spring Quarter.