Dear Students in the College:
Welcome to Spring Quarter! I hope that you enjoy the first day of classes and wish you success throughout the quarter ahead.
As those who were in the College last Spring know, today feels remarkably different than this time last year. While COVID-19 remains a presence in our lives that warrants a continued resolute commitment to health and safety practices, the progress related to the pandemic and the return of early Spring outdoor activities offers a sense of hopefulness to embrace as we begin the quarter.
While the support and resources offered by the Office of the Dean of Students in the College last Spring remain available to you, it is our sincere wish that this quarter renews a forward momentum from which all in our community may benefit. For easy reference, following is an overview of activities and resources available to College students during the Spring months.
Academic Support and Resources
- Advising: Individualized advising and support from the College continues to be available to students remotely. The College Scheduling site can be used to schedule appointments with the College Academic Advising Office, the Center for College Student Success, the College Center for Research and Fellowships, Study Abroad, and more. You can also contact your academic advisers via email.
- College Core Tutor Program: The College Core Tutor Program continues to provide tutoring support remotely.
- Research and Fellowships: The College Center for Research and Fellowships (CCRF) invites you to virtually attend the 2021 University of Chicago Undergraduate Research Symposium on May 21. Complete details are available here.
- Online Services and Guidance: The University and the College have created a number of online repositories of information for navigating Spring Quarter.
- UChicago Forward: The University’s resource for information on the health and safety of the campus community during the COVID-19 pandemic, including classroom and remote learning, and COVID testing and vaccinations.
- Spring 2021 in the College: A comprehensive source of information specific to the College community.
- Learning Remotely: Policies and guidance related to remote access, grading, student services, Title IX support, and more.
- Online Library Services: Information on online Library services for research and learning.
- Study Spaces: Seats can be reserved in a variety of spaces across campus, including Crerar, Regenstein, and the Arley D. Cathey Learning Center in Harper Memorial Library. Heated tent spaces for dining and studying are available without a reservation.
- Spring Quarter Events: For upcoming virtual and socially distanced, in-person events available to undergraduates this quarter, visit the College’s events calendar.
- Winterfest: Winterfest’s programming continues into Spring Quarter with Spring Forward and the next stages of the Chicago Futures Project, including the Chicago Futures Design Challenge.
- CCRF: Students are encouraged to take full advantage of spring quarter information sessions and other valuable resources about undergraduate research and national fellowships online at ccrf.uchicago.edu.
- Career Advancement: Visit the UChicago Handshake events page to register for several exciting events this spring, including the “Careers in the Humanities” series, “Tech Tuesday” workshops, the Climate Innovation Challenge, and more! For personalized career support, make an appointment with a Career Advancement adviser.
- UChicago Arts: A range of arts-focused activities will be offered across campus, from UChicago Presents to the ArtsPass program to the re-opening of the Smart Museum of Art and Pope.L’s new exhibition.
- Personal Wellness: A variety of health and wellness-focused offerings, including meditation, virtual workouts and E-sports competitions, are available from Athletics & Recreation, Spiritual Life and UChicago Student Wellness.
If you have questions or would like guidance, please contact your academic adviser.
My best wishes for an enjoyable and successful Spring Quarter.
Jay Ellison, PhD
Dean of Students in the College
The University of Chicago