Dear Students in the College:
Welcome to Spring Quarter! I hope that you enjoyed your first day of classes and feel equipped to embrace the quarter ahead.
Last Friday, I mentioned that the Office of the Dean of Students in the College had been working diligently to ensure that resources to support your success, well-being, and connectedness remain easily accessible. Following is the promised reminder of those resources.
Most importantly, please be certain to take care of yourself! Do not forget that health and wellness resources on campus remain available to you virtually, including expanded telehealth and teletherapy options through Student Health and Counseling Services. An FAQ from the Student Counseling Service can be found here. New virtual wellness programming has also been introduced, including Mindfulness Meditation, Refresh Sleep, and Pet Love.
Please find below other resources dedicated to supporting you in your academic pursuits.
Academics and Remote Learning:
- Advising: Individualized advising and support from staff in the College continue to be available to students remotely. The College Scheduling site can be used to schedule appointments with the College Academic Advising Office, the Center for College Student Success, the College Center for Research and Fellowships, Study Abroad, and more. You can also contact your academic advisers via email.
- College Core Tutoring Program: For the remainder of the school year, the Core Tutor Program will provide tutoring support remotely.
- Research and Fellowships: The College Center for Research and Fellowships will offer all Spring Quarter information sessions and workshops virtually, including an upcoming panel discussion on how to navigate study and research in today’s remote learning environment.
- Online Services and Guidance: The University and the College have created a number of online repositories of information for navigating Spring Quarter.
- Spring 2020 in the College: An official and comprehensive source of information for the College community.
- Learning Remotely: Policies and guidance related to Spring 2020 learning, including information on remote access, grading, student services, Title IX guidance, and more.
- Online Library Services: Information on online Library services for research and learning.
Virtual Engagement Opportunities:
- Virtual Programming: The College will launch a virtual programming website on Tuesday, April 7 that will share ways for students to engage with one another outside of the virtual classroom space. Please stay tuned for this information.
- Career Advancement: Throughout the quarter, students continue to have access to career resources, including personalized career advising, opportunities to interact with employers, and hands-on professional experiences.
- UChicago Arts: A variety of events and activities will be offered through virtual visits to the arts at UChicago and the ArtsPass program.
- Fit UChicago: A variety of physical health offerings, including virtual workouts and even E-sports competitions, are available from Athletics and Recreation.
- Spiritual Life UChicago: From meditation to coffee and chai chats, Spiritual Life UChicago will offer a range of virtual programs this quarter.
I know this quarter presents unique challenges, but we are committed to helping you achieve your academic and personal goals. Together, we will successfully work through this unprecedented time.
Jay Ellison, PhD
Dean of Students in the College
The University of Chicago