Adapted from the College Catalog. See the College Catalog for complete details.
The College awards the B.A. or the B.S. degree to qualified students who are recommended by the faculty. In order to qualify for the degree, you must complete the following:
- The general education requirements (the Core).
- The requirements of a major program.
- The minimum number of electives.
- The language competency requirement.
- Course credit for a minimum of 42 quarter courses: This number may be reached in part by examination or advanced standing (transfer credit) where appropriate.
- An overall GPA of 1.75 and a GPA of 2.0 in your major/s.
- A residency requirement: A student must be in residence at the University of Chicago campus for at least six quarters and must successfully complete a minimum of 1800 units of credit while in residence. Additionally, more than half of the requirements for any major or minor must be completed in residence. NOTE: Certain College-sponsored study abroad programs (chiefly the civilization studies programs) may be used to meet this residency and course requirement.
- Completion of a "College Degree Application" form, accessible through the my.uchicago.edu portal, is due by Friday of the first week of the quarter of graduation.
- Payment of all outstanding bills and return of all equipment and library books.
Note: If the name on the diploma will not match the name on the transcript, complete a Change of Name form. You can change your address in the my.uchicago.edu portal. If you have questions, call the University Registrar at 773.702.7891.