Summer Session Frequently Asked Questions

Housing and Dining Questions

What is the dormitory like?

During Summer Session 2018, students will live in Campus North Residential Commons, a brand new residential complex with many amenities. This air-conditioned facility opened this year and offers single and double rooms. Each floor is accessible by elevator and has a community bathroom. Different sections of the living area, including the community bathrooms, will be segregated by sex.

All bedrooms are fully furnished with an extra-long twin bed, desk and chair, dresser, bookshelves, lighting, carpeting, window treatments, and a single-line telephone. Amenities include: weekly linen exchange, multiple lounges and recreation rooms, computer labs, music practice rooms, laundry facilities, wireless internet service, vending and ice machines, and 24-hour front desk service.

When is housing available to University of Chicago students?

University of Chicago students can check in to the dorm the day before their classes start, beginning Sunday, June 17 and no earlier. Unfortunately, the Summer Session Office does not have any housing available during the time between the end of Spring Quarter and the beginning of Summer Session. Current residents of Campus North Residential Commons planning to stay in Campus North for Summer Session will still have to move out for the period between quarters and make arrangements for housing elsewhere. Residents of other dorms planning to stay in Campus North over the summer may be able to store a small amount of items at their old dorm, but must make those arrangements with the staff of that dorm. The Summer Session Office only works with Campus North Residential Commons and cannot guarantee or make arrangements for any other dorm or for any other academic quarter.

When must I check out of summer housing?

You must check out of the dorm by 9 a.m. on the Saturday after your classes end. For example, if your last class is on Friday, July 6, then you must check out of the dorm by 9 a.m. on Saturday, July 7. All Summer Session students must be checked out of the dorm by 9 a.m. on Saturday, August 25, 2018.

Are single rooms available?

Yes. Please indicate your room preference on your housing application.

Can I request a specific roommate?

Yes. If you will be living in a double room and would like to request a specific roommate of the same gender, both you and that person must list each other as a requested roommate when requesting housing during your online registration.

How do I get my mail?

When you check in to the dorm, you will receive a room number. This will be part of your mailing address:

Your Name
Attn: Summer Conference-Summer Session
Campus North Residential Commons Room XX
5500 S. University Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637

Mail can be picked up at the front desk of the dorm 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The front desk will sign for all priority packages (24 hours/day). Students receiving packages will have a package slip in the expanding file at the front desk in the Summer Session section. Please do not have mail sent until you receive your room number at check-in.

I live in a dorm on campus the rest of the year. Where can I store my belongings between housing assignments?

Please talk to the staff of the dorm you are currently staying in to find out if storage is available between housing assignments. The Summer Session Office does not have separate storage facilities and cannot make storage arrangements through other dorms.

Can I request a particular room or building to live in?

The Summer Session Office can make housing arrangements for students in the Campus North Residential Commons only; we cannot make arrangements for any other type of campus housing (married student housing, I-House, sublets, etc.). We share use of the dorm with other groups and conferences over the summer, so we cannot guarantee a particular building or room within the hall.

I already live in a UChicago residence hall. Can I keep my room during the summer?

Sorry, but Residence Halls and Commons requires that all rooms be vacated at the end of spring quarter in order to be cleaned and repaired as necessary and all students are required to move out between Spring and Summer quarters.

Can I have a friend or relative stay overnight in my dorm room?

The only person who can stay in your room is you and your roommate. Guests are welcome to visit you in your dorm room (so long as they sign in at the front desk); however, they cannot stay overnight in student rooms: no exceptions. Hosts are always responsible for the behavior of campus guests; visitors are expected to conform to the behavioral standards set for students at the University.

What dining options do I have over the summer?

A Meal Plan for Bartlett Dining Commons is available to students living in the dorm only. It costs $35.50 per day and covers three meals a day, seven days a week. No flex dollars or other dining options are available during the summer, and credit is not issued for meals not eaten. Commuter students are welcome to pay cash to eat in Bartlett Dining Commons.

What if I have a vegetarian/kosher/halal diet or food allergies?

The dining hall has vegetarian and vegan options at every meal. If you have food allergies or other special dietary needs, please list them in the space provided on the Housing Application; Campus Dining needs advance notice to best accommodate any special needs. Please be aware that the kosher and halal stations in the dining hall during the regular academic year are not open during the summer.

When is the dining facility open?

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served cafeteria-style in the Dining Commons seven days a week. You may come in for meals at any time during serving hours. These are:

  • Breakfast: 7:30–9 a.m. (continental breakfast available until 9:30 a.m.)
  • Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
  • Dinner: 5:45–7:45 p.m.

What if I miss a meal? Can I take food out of the dining hall?

If you miss a meal, you will not get monetary credit or another make-up meal. In an effort to control waste, Campus Dining does not allow anyone to take food out of the dining hall other than to grab a cookie or an ice cream cone on your way out. It's after the deadline.

Can I still apply for housing after the deadline?

If space permits, students may be able to add housing or dining after the application deadline. Please be aware that the June 1 finalization date applies to all housing arrangements; if you add housing or dining after June 1, you will be held liable for all charges.

Can I change my housing arrangements (add/drop weeks or withdraw) once I have applied?

Once you submit a housing application and deposit, housing (and dining, if requested) arrangements will be made for you. The deadline to apply for housing is May 15, 2018, and these arrangements become final and binding on June 1, 2018. Charges associated with housing and dining cannot be refunded or reduced after this date. If you change your housing and dining arrangements by reducing your number of weeks or withdraw from housing altogether after June 1, no matter when you were scheduled to move in, you will be held liable for all charges associated with your original arrangements. By submitting a housing application, you indicate you are aware of, and agree to abide by, the policy regarding finalization of housing arrangements.

Academic Questions

How do I register for summer courses?

UChicago College students should register via between February 1 and June 9; after June 9, College students will have to follow the instructions below about adding and dropping. Graduate students should register through their Dean of Students Office.

Can I change my registration (add or drop courses)?

UChicago College students who wish to add or drop a course after June 9 should email the student name, student ID number, and relevant course numbers and titles to If you are requesting enrollment in a course that has already started, please include the aforementioned instructor consent.

Since Summer Session courses are very brief and very intensive, we strongly encourage students to consider their choices very carefully before they register. Students wishing to enroll in a course that has already met (even once) must have the written consent of the instructor.

Current University of Chicago graduate students who wish to add or drop should do so through the usual channels you use during the year, such as your division’s Dean of Students Office.

Do Summer Session course offerings yield the same credit as courses offered the rest of the year?

Undergraduate courses offered during summer quarter are three, four, five, or six weeks in length, but they all meet for at least 30 contact hours, as required by the College. Each summer course, regardless of length, is therefore the equivalent of a full quarter-long course, yielding 100 units of credit.

Courses offered as part of the Summer Language Institute, however, are six or eight weeks in length, and yield 300 units of credit.

When and how do I get my grades?

Official grades for all courses, regardless of course dates, are not available until after the end of Summer Session (mid-September). Once official grades are available, you may log on to myUChicago to view your grades.

Are there classes on Independence Day (July 4th)?

If July 4th falls on a weekday, classes will not be held and University administrative offices will also be closed, but the University will not be closed on any other days surrounding July 4th, and you should expect to be in class on these days unless your instructor tells you otherwise. If July 4th falls on a weekend, the University will be closed on either Friday or Monday in observance of the holiday, and you should consult your course syllabus to see how your class schedule will be affected.

What if I need to withdraw from all of my Summer Session courses?

University of Chicago College students dropping all Summer Session courses will need to notify the Summer Session Office via email at in order to be dropped from the courses and have their Term Record updated. Current University of Chicago graduate students who wish to drop all of their summer quarter courses should do so through the usual channels you use during the year, such as your division’s Dean of Students Office. Tuition refunds decrease with the lateness of the withdrawal date. The $500 Housing Deposit is nonrefundable; room and board charges are final as of June 1, 2018, and after that date cannot be refunded or prorated.

What happens if the course(s) I want to take are canceled?

Sometimes, either because the instructor can no longer teach the class or because an insufficient number of students have enrolled in a class, a course is canceled. If a course you are enrolled in needs to be canceled, you will be notified by our office and given the opportunity to enroll in a different course.