Adapted from the College Catalog. See the College Catalog for complete details.
The College awards the B.A. or the B.S. degree to qualified students who are recommended by the faculty. In order to qualify for the degree, you must complete the following:
- The general education requirements (the Core).
- The requirements of a major program.
- The minimum number of electives.
- The language competency requirement.
- Course credit for a minimum of 42 quarter courses: This number may be reached in part by examination or advanced standing (transfer credit) where appropriate.
- An overall GPA of 1.75 and a GPA of 2.0 in your major/s.
- A residency requirement: A student must be in residence at the University of Chicago campus for at least six quarters and must successfully complete a minimum of 18 courses while in residence. Please Note: Certain College-sponsored study abroad programs (such as the civilization studies programs) count toward this residency and course requirement.
- Completion of a "College Degree Application" form, accessible through the my.uchicago.edu portal, is due by Friday of the first week of the quarter of graduation.
- Payment of all outstanding bills and return of all equipment and library books.
Note: If the name on the diploma will not match the name on the transcript, complete a Change of Name form. You can change your address in the my.uchicago.edu portal. If you have questions, call the University Registrar at 773-702-7891.
- Grades for courses taken prior to the quarter of graduation (e.g., Is, blanks) are due in the Registrar's Office by Friday of ninth week of the quarter of graduation.
- Grades for courses taken during the quarter of graduation are due in the Registrar's Office by Friday of 10th week. Note: The Booth School will not offer early exams and the College will not accept provisional grades.
Since Summer Quarter graduation deadlines change annually, check with a College adviser or the University Registrar.
Bursar balances of more than $1,000 must be cleared by Friday of ninth week of the quarter of graduation in order to receive your diploma.
By the start of the quarter of graduation, you should have:
- Confirmed that the College language requirement is completed and posted to the transcript.
- Confirmed that all AP, placement, and transfer credits are posted to the transcript. To order AP scores, contact the College Board.
- Confirmed that all course names, numbers, and grades listed on the transcript are correct. The transcript becomes permanently immutable during the summer after graduation.
- Confirmed that the information listed under 'Previous Institution' on the transcript is correct.
- Updated your College adviser about the status of NGRs, Is, Ws, or blanks in required courses.
Students who do not meet all graduation requirements by the appropriate deadlines will be removed from the graduation list, assessed a cancellation fee, and required to submit a new degree application prior to the anticipated quarter of graduation.
College Convocation Ceremony
Only students who have completed all degree requirements can march in Convocation. This includes students on leave of absence.
Students receive a grace period of two quarters after their last quarter in attendance, after which access to many services will begin to close. University of Chicago alumni retain access to the services listed below:
- Campus wireless network
- Email forwarding for email@example.com
- Online transcript access
- Course information in Chalk
More information is available on the IT Services page: Account Closure Policies and Procedures FAQs.