Summer Session Registration and Housing
Information for current degree-seeking students in the College
Summer Session at The University of Chicago is now part of the College, bringing it even closer to the heart of the undergraduate experience. You can complete a requirement, concentrate your efforts on a particular subject, or try something new, while also having the chance to experience the city at its liveliest, with all of the summertime outdoor music festivals, street fairs, beaches, and other amenities.
Regular undergraduate courses offered are three, five, or ten weeks in length. Each regular summer course, regardless of length, is the equivalent of a full quarter-long course, yielding 100 credits. Summer Session also offers several special focus programs for undergraduate and graduate students, which may have different costs, dates, and credit loads. Find out more about each program here:
- Chicago in Beijing June 11 – August 3, 2018
- Summer Urban Studies Program: Police and Citizen June 18 – July 27, 2018
- Chicago Climate Change & Culture Institute (4CI) July 9 – 27, 2018
- Summer Language Institute (300 credits, six- or eight-week courses beginning June 18, 2018)
How to Register
Current UChicago undergraduate students must request access to register for courses during the summer through myUChicago. Please navigate to Academics > Classes and Registration > Summer Activation Request Form. For full instructions, see this page on the Registrar's website. Once that access has been granted, you may register for courses.
Registration for regular Summer Session courses begins February 6, 2018. To review the course offerings and enroll in regular courses, visit your MyUChicago page. You must register for undergraduate courses on my.uchicago.edu before June 9. After this date, you will have to contact the Summer Session Office at email@example.com in order to register.
Consult your College advisor if you need information about course selection during the summer.
Applying for Special Programs
The application for Chicago in Beijing is now closed. Those interested in the Urban Studies: Police & Citizen and Chicago Climate Change & Culture Institute (4CI) may directly register for those programs through my.uchicago.edu. Financial aid for these programs may still be available for those currently eligible for aid. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
To register for the Summer Language Institute, please visit summerlanguages.uchicago.edu.
Please note the following important dates:
|Program/Session||Add Deadline||Drop Deadline||First day of session|
|Session 1: 3-week programs, Urban Studies||June 18 *||2nd day of class||June 18, 2018|
|Session 1: 5-week programs||June 18||4th day of class||June 18, 2018|
|Session 2, 4CI||July 9 *||2nd day of class||July 9, 2018|
|Session 3||July 23||4th day of class||July 23, 2018|
|Session 4||July 30||2nd day of class||July 30, 2018|
|Summer Language Institute||June 18||2nd day of class||June 18, 2018|
Current College students have until the first class meeting to add an undergraduate course. Once a course has already started, late adds may be possible with the approval of the course instructor.
The Summer Session Office is no longer accepting applications for Summer Session Housing. All available housing has been assigned.
- Limited housing is available on campus for current UChicago students attending summer courses. Summer Session programs are housed in the Campus North Residential Commons.
- Current UChicago students can check in to Campus North the day before their classes start, but no earlier. They must check out of the dorm by 9 a.m. on the Saturday after their classes end. For example, if your last class is on Friday, July 6, then you must check out of the dorm by 9 a.m. on Saturday, July 7. All Summer Session students must be checked out of the dorm by 9 a.m. on Saturday, August 25, 2018.
- Unfortunately, the Summer Session Office cannot provide student housing between the end of Spring Quarter and the beginning of Summer Session. See the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
For information on Summer 2018 costs, visit summer.uchicago.edu/cost-aid-undergraduate.
Current UChicago students who receive financial aid during the regular academic year can apply for financial aid for Summer Session courses. Students seeking financial aid during the Summer Session must submit a completed financial aid application and all required documentation no later than March 15th. A limited pool of funds will be available, so applicants seeking aid are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Financial aid application/re-application instructions are available at financialaid.uchicago.edu. Students will also receive an email with summer financial aid application instructions.
Summer Study at Another Institution
Students who are considering taking a summer course at another institution should complete the following steps:
- Read the Transfer Credit Policy with care: it will outline the procedures you need to follow before you take a class to make sure your coursework will transfer to your University of Chicago degree program.
- Speak to one’s College Adviser about the feasibility of such a plan. The Adviser can answer any questions one might have and help explain the details of the process.
|For questions about:||Contact:|
|Financial aid for summer courses|
|Academic email@example.com or 773.702.8615|
|Summer Language Institutefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Chicago in Beijing, Urban Studies, and 4CI email@example.com|
|General Summer Session firstname.lastname@example.org|