The College is looking for your feedback! Please take a moment to help us out.

Joint Degree Programs

Some departments in the University offer joint BA/MA programs or a professional option for undergraduates. Joint degrees and professional option programs allow you to begin graduate-level study while you’re still a student in the College. They can be useful to highly motivated students who decide early on that they want to concentrate their time (and their electives) on graduate-level study.

Please Note: If you are thinking about taking on one of these programs, set up an appointment with the College Joint Degree Program Adviser, Ron Gorny.

Joint Bachelor’s/Master’s Programs

A Joint BA-MA/MS program lets you begin taking graduate courses in your major while still an undergraduate in the College. A few departments currently offer this option, including Romance Languages, Statistics, Slavic Languages and the Committee on International Relations, however any department may decide to offer a joint program. If they do, it’ll be noted in the College Catalog.

Joint Master of Arts in Teaching Degree

UChicago UTEP is a two-year graduate program accredited by the Illinois State Board of Education that awards a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree through the University of Chicago Graham School of Continuing Liberal and Professional StudiesThe program offers three certification pathways: Elementary, Secondary Biology, Secondary Mathematics. Undergraduates at the University of Chicago may begin the program during their fourth year in the College and take the Foundations of Education sequence as quarterly electives. You must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Joint MA Degree in Social Service Administration

The Joint MA Degree in Social Service Administration lets you begin training for an MA degree even if you’re not majoring in Social Service. You’d need to start the ground work for this program early in your third year, have a GPA of 3.25 of higher, and have all of your general education requirements completed in order to apply for this program.

Professional Option Programs

The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and the Irving B. Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies offer a professional option program, which means you could begin med school or work toward an advanced professional degree during your fourth year.

Both are highly competitive and have stringent requirements. And both require the you apply in your third year in the College, so if you’re interested you’ll need to start making inquiries early in your 2nd year. Check the College Catalog and talk to your College adviser for more information.

The University of Chicago Wordmark
College Directory | University Directory | Maps | Webmail | Make a Gift | Contact Us

© 2014 The University of Chicago
5801 South Ellis Ave. Chicago, IL 60637 | 773.702.1234