Various groups in the College produce a range of publications throughout the year, ranging from quick current event updates to deep historical essays. Discover some selected publications here.
The College Newsletter
The College Newsletter is written and edited by Carrie Golus, AB'91, AM'93, in the office of Alumni Relations and Development. It provides short vignettes relating to current events, students, and faculty for alumni, parents, friends, and supporters of the College.
Recent College Newsletter stories can be viewed individually on our site, or the print (pdf) versions can be downloaded below.
Occasional Papers on Higher Education
Every summer since 1996, John W. Boyer, dean of the College and Martin A. Ryerson distinguished service professor of history, has written a paper on a different aspect of University history—from its early financial struggles, to the pitched battles over curricula, to the campus unrest of the 1960s. In 1999 the College began publishing his essays as part of its Occasional Papers on Higher Education series.
The missing numbers in our Occasional Papers series are Aims of Education Addresses. We will add them to this site soon.
- Volume XXII. "A Hell of a Job Getting it Squared Around": Three Presidents in Times of Fundamental Change: Ernest D. Burton, Lawrence A. Kimpton, and Edward H. Levi - October 30, 2012
- Volume XXI. "Teaching at a University of a Certain Sort": Education at the University of Chicago Over the Past Century - October 18, 2011
- Volume XX. "Not as a Thing for the Moment, but for All Time": The University of Chicago and Its Histories - October 19, 2010
- Volume XIX. "A Noble and Symmetrical Conception of Life": The Arts at Chicago on the Edge of a New Century - October 27, 2009
- Volume XVIII. "The Kind of University That We Desire to Become": Student Housing and the Educational Mission of the University of Chicago - October 28, 2008
- Volume XVII. "We are All Islanders to Begin With": The University of Chicago and the World in the Late Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries - October 30, 2007
- Volume XVI. A Twentieth-century Cosmos: The New Plan and the Origins of General Education at Chicago - October 31, 2006
- Volume XV. "Broad and Christian in the Fullest Sense": William Rainey Harper and the University of Chicago - October 25, 2005
- Volume XIII. The "Persistence to Keep Everlastingly at It": Fund-raising and Philanthropy at Chicago in the Twentieth Century - October 26, 2004
- Volume XII. Judson's War and Hutchins's Peace: The University of Chicago and War in the Twentieth Century - October 28, 2003
- Volume X. Academic Freedom and the Modern University: The Experience of the University of Chicago - October 29, 2002
- Volume VIII. The Organization of the College and the Divisions in the 1920s and 1930s - October 30, 2001
- Volume VI. Building for a Long Future: The Role of the Trustees in the Early University - October 17, 2000
- Volume IV. The University of Chicago in the 1960s and 1970s - October 19, 1999
- Volume III. Continuity & Change: The College as a Sponsor of Research and Teaching - October 20, 1998
- Volume II. Continuity & Change: The College as an Advocate of Curricular Innovation and Debate - October 21, 1997
- Volume I. Continuity & Change: The College as a Member of the Wider University - October 22, 1996
In most browsers, all of the documents on this page will be presented in an interactive overlay via Issuu.com. If you would like to view these documents in their original PDF format, simply right-click (or Control-click on Mac) and select "Save Link As...".